Sunday, January 20, 2008

"We are not dealing with a scientific problem. We are dealing with a political issue."--Samuel Epstein, M.D.

GWhile I only knew of them indirectly, their lives and the fact that they ended so soon have made an impact in my life. Both 24, both died of cancer.

I'm still in awe. We live in one, if not the greatest nation in the world. With that said, one would think that we have the ability to raise the money to fund research, medicine etc. to cure certain diseases. But we don't. We have billions of dollars to spend on pointless wars. We have gazillionaires wasting their fortunes away on random junk. Heck, our government can't even agree on whether or not stem cell research is ethical. Who am I kidding, we don't even have universal health care.

Even though I understand that God has a purpose for everything, my heart breaks for the opportunities missed and dreams left unfulfilled, for their loved ones left behind. Just goes to show that you really never know.

To Craig and to Anthony, may you both rest in peace. To their families and friends, my prayers are with you and may God give you strength and comfort in knowing that they are no longer suffering.

No comments: